DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Software Engineer on the Research Infrastructure/Compliance Technology team, you'll be part of a tight knit team of software engineers working closely with internal users (compliance officers, analysts, quants, traders) to develop innovative tools and reporting systems. You'll experiment with emerging technologies to process data at scale with strict requirements for timely, accurate data. Your team works to provide a breadth of data which is crucial to compliance, research and post-trade analysis across the firm. You’ll wrestle a mountain of data into human understandable insights.
We care deeply about preserving a respectful and diverse team culture. We believe in choosing the right tech for the job even if that means learning something new or reviving something old. We value business impact and outcomes over process and we make decisions based on data. We strive to adapt quickly as business priorities change.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Assure Compliance Officers have the data, interfaces and analysis tooling required to meet global regulatory requirements
- Develop tools to enable the business to rapidly embrace new opportunities in global markets
- Partner closely with internal customers to understand their needs and build intuitive self-service reporting and research tools
- Develop software for large scale data acquisition, storage, accessibility, and visualization
- Work with a team to maintain and extend our global coverage of required data sets
- Learn about market microstructure, financial instruments, and markets in which DRW participates or wants to participate in
This could be a good fit if you:
- Are motivated to solve hard problems with deceptively simple solutions
- Think a lot about user experience and try to really understand end users’ jobs and pain points
- Think a lot about APIs, modular design and testing
- Love refactoring and keep trying until you find a better answer
- Enjoy making the “right way to do it” the path of least resistance
- Have made a random tool for yourself…and then peers ask for it…then other teams ask for it…
- Are fiercely proud of your project’s reliability, performance and ease of maintenance
- Are excited to learn about financial markets, trading, etc.
What we need on the team:
- 1-3 years of software development experience
- Strong computer science fundamentals; a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Strong experience with Java, Python or any modern programming language
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Drive to assure that your software skills are always improving
- Comfort working within a globally-distributed team
- A background in some of the following a bonus:
- Functional OOP experience
- Big data technologies
- Python experience
- JS experience
- Financial Markets experience
- Postgres DB
- Cloud-native deployments: Docker and Kubernetes
- Splunk, Prometheus, Grafana
- Spark, Presto
- NumPy, Pandas
- Front-end development
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.