DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
As a Software Engineer on the Research Infrastructure technology team, you'll be part of a tight knit team of software engineers working closely with internal users (analysts, quants, traders) to develop innovative research tools. You'll experiment with emerging technologies to process data at scale. Your team works to provide a breadth of market data which is crucial to research and post-trade analysis across the firm. You’ll wrestle a mountain of data into human understandable insights. Our systems deal with hundreds of billions of messages every day, from over 100 exchanges.
We care deeply about preserving a respectful and diverse team culture. We believe in choosing the right tech for the job even if that means learning something new or reviving something old. We value business impact and outcomes over process and we make decisions based on data. We strive to adapt quickly as business priorities change.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Develop research tools to enable the business to rapidly embrace new opportunities in global markets
- Partner closely with internal customers to understand their needs and build intuitive self-service research tools
- Develop software for large scale data acquisition, storage, accessibility, and visualization.
- Work with a team to maintain and extend our global market data reach
- Learn about market microstructure, financial instruments, and markets in which DRW participates or wants to participate in
This could be a good fit if you:
- Are motivated to solve hard problems with deceptively simple solutions
- Think a lot about user experience and try to really understand end users’ jobs and pain points
- Think a lot about APIs, modular design and testing
- Love refactoring and keep trying until you find a better answer
- Enjoy making the “right way to do it” the path of least resistance
- Have made a random tool for yourself…and then peers ask for it…then other teams ask for it…
- Are fiercely proud of your project’s reliability, performance and ease of maintenance
- Are excited to learn about financial markets, trading, etc.
What we need on the team:
- At least 3 years of platform-level software development experience
- Strong computer science fundamentals; a degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Strong experience with Java, Python or any modern programming language
- Experience processing high volumes of data at scale
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Comfort working within a globally-distributed team
- A background in some of the following a bonus:
- Java experience
- Big data technologies
- Python experience
- Ruby experience
- Financial Markets experience
- Postgres DB
- Cloud-native deployments: Docker and Kubernetes
- Splunk, Prometheus, Grafana
- Spark, Presto
- NumPy, Pandas
- Front-end development
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.