DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
We need your help solving problems no one has ever solved. You've probably heard that from job ads before. Maybe you’ve also read about playing ping pong and wearing jeans to work. You can do all of that at DRW, but that's not why you should work here. You should work at DRW because here you will be free to make things. Seriously. What do you want to make? Come make it.
That's not to say that you'll be whiteboarding all day - job #1 will be creating and maintaining a set of highly visible and highly valuable tools. You'll also support a few legacy systems until we can finish migrating them. DRW is special because what we want from you is not 4-6 years of Java experience, optimized linked list sorting, or perfected agile methodologies. We want your ideas - we want you to challenge the way we are doing things.
DRW is a principal trading firm. We make money by being smart about what we buy and sell. We use our own capital – no customers or investors. That might seem unusual at first, but you’ll find that it’s pretty awesome. Without external customers, you'll be able to change things that aren't working and introduce new solutions to meet our ever-evolving business needs.
As a Software Engineer on our London-based Compliance technology team, you'll be part of a tight knit team of software engineers working closely with our UK and US Compliance Officers to make sure that our (incredibly important) regulatory requirements are fulfilled. You'll experiment with emerging technologies to monitor trading behaviors and deliver critical reporting and analytics. You’ll wrestle a mountain of data into human understandable insights.
You'll feel right at home if you:
- Have experience with Git and have experience programming in either Java or Python
- Have an interest in picking up competencies in cloud computing, large data sets, PostgresSQL, Containerization, and Linux (Ubuntu)
- Have a curiosity and passion for technology
- Possess an ability to solve problems creatively
- Are self-motivated, conscientious and hardworking
- Enjoy communicating directly with the end users of your software
- Are prepared to contribute and grow as a teammate on a driven and professional team
- Believe that software is a great lever to solve real world problems
- Have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
Bonus points for:
- Experience with Elixir/Erlang/functional programming
- Possessing depth of knowledge in at least one of the following: AWS Compute/DB/S3/ECS/et al, Bash, PostgreSQL, Network Stack
- An interest in designing user-centric dense data visualizations and tools
- An ability to explain common trade-offs and pitfalls in software engineering
What you'll be working on:
- Creating and maintaining systems to meet complex regulatory compliance and reporting requirements
- Designing and developing systems with an eye towards simplicity and reliable engineering practices
- Maintaining an ecosystem of data-driven and scalable applications using modern best practices
- Implementing requirements through research, coding, documentation, testing and production support activities
- Helping to prepare releases of the internal products and ensure continuous deployments
- Participate in video chat pairing/group coding and frequent peer code reviews
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.