DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With over 1,000 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
We are currently looking for a Microwave Tower Technician to be part of our US Field Operations team. This technician will work primarily out of Edison, New Jersey covering Essex, Bergen, and Union counties, and travel periodically to other sites in the US.
Working directly on our network and only our network, you will play a key role in innovation around our network standards and processes by providing field feedback to our network team. Rather than supporting various customers and their different standards, you will be part of our team and play a key role in innovating and contributing to this network’s growing success. This position is not for the faint-hearted; instead it is for those who would like to be truly challenged in their roles by not only providing quick and consistent response time to network needs, but by interfacing with some of the smartest people in this industry. Proficiency in microwave installations, path alignments and troubleshooting is required.
- Perform work on towers and rooftops (working at height - in some cases above 500’ AGL) including line and antenna installation, grounding/electrical tasks, microwave path alignments and troubleshooting
- Safely operate all supporting equipment, including vehicles and rigging tools and report any deficiencies
- Participate in On-the-job training (OJT) with team members and other subcontractors
- Understand and adhere to Scope of Work and Method of Procedure documents as defined by the company; suggest improvements where applicable
- Assist with project closeout activities
- Provide daily reporting on job progress as required
- Monitor/review closeout documentation, keep site documentation updated and ensure consistent quality standard across all sites; suggest/implement improvements to Scope of Work where applicable
- Respond quickly and effectively to resolve all trouble tickets raised by the Network Services and Operations team within applicable policies, standards and SLA timeframes
- Accurately set timeline expectations around completion of projects and tasks
- Participate in regular full network auditing plans to ensure operating standards are being upheld
- Keep team lead well-informed about operational and maintenance issues associated with sites
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar role working on microwave technology; previous millimeter experience preferred
- Previous experience working with fiber optic cabling preferred
- Ability to travel overnight within the US approx. 30-40% of the time
- Must be capable of working and being on-call on extended working hours, including evenings and weekends
- Must have all industry-required certifications to climb, install equipment and maintain all sites and towers forming the network
- CPR/Basic First Aid training required
- OSHA 10 minimum, OSHA 30 a plus
- Must have previous experience with path alignment and troubleshooting of microwave links
- Experience with electrical work, including grounding, breaker installation, power cabling and conduit work following normal safety protocols; certification is an asset
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office applications and have intermediate to advanced general PC knowledge
- Previous exposure to networking concepts is a plus
- Experience working with sweep gear and network analyzers preferred; Anritsu certification is an asset
- Must have valid US Driver’s license
- Must have valid US Passport
- Must keep all required training/certifications up to date on an ongoing basis
Required Skills and Abilities:
- High level of professionalism; strong communication and interpersonal skills
- A collaborative team player approach
- Strong organizational and documentation skills and detail orientation
- Must be highly motivated and proactive
- Flexibility with regards to schedule
- Ability to travel for long periods of time in a vehicle and then perform duties once on site
- Must work well independently
- Proven ability to maintain clean, safe and orderly working environments
- Strong adherence to and enforcement of safety procedures and policies
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Required to be on feet/standing in one place 66% to 100% of the time.
- Long haul driving required, sometimes up to 7 hours in a work shift
- Constant need (66% to 100% of the time) to perform the following physical activities:
- Bend/Stoop/Squat/Kneel: Perform routine maintenance, pick up tools
- Climb Stairs: Ability to climb 2 or 3 flights of stairs in order to maintain and install line and antenna systems
- Push or Pull: Move equipment, open and close doors
- Reach Above Shoulder: Perform routine maintenance/repairs, stock and remove equipment, parts, etc.
- Climb all types of towers, to reach tower heights sometimes in excess of 500'(typically 0-300' though)
- Grasp/Grip/Turning: Handle tools and equipment, perform routine maintenance/ repairs on tower sites
- Finger Dexterity: Handle tools, rope, rigging and equipment in all weather conditions
- Required to lift/carry equipment and tools as follows:
- Over 150 lbs. Rare need (less than 1% of the time)
- 75 – 150 lbs Occasional need (1% to 33% of the time)
- 25 to 75 lbs. Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time)
- 1 to 25 lbs. Constant need (66% to 100% of the time)
- Required to work indoors 33% to 66% of the time. Required to work outdoors 66% to 100% of the time, in all weather conditions, often for extended periods on remote telecommunication sites.
- Occasional exposure (1% to 33% of the time) to paint fumes, solvents, adhesives, etc.
- Frequent need (33% to 66% of the time) to work in awkward and confining positions
For more information about DRW's processing activities and our use of job applicants' data, please view our Privacy Notice at https://drw.com/privacy-notice.
California residents, please review the California Privacy Notice for information about certain legal rights at https://drw.com/california-privacy-notice.